Updated on 12/2/21
Thanks, but no thanks.
Following the devastating crowd surge at the Astroworld festival that left 10 people dead, Travis Scott offered to pay for the funerals of all the victims. However, more than half of the victim’s families are rejecting the rapper’s offer and are instead hoping to get what they deserve through the courts.
Five families have said “no” to Travis’s offer, with the family of 9-year-old Ezra Blount being the first, according to Rolling Stone.
In fact, these families believe Travis only offered to pay because of how it would look to the public.
The lawyer for 14-year-old John Hilgert’s family explained they were never going to consider his offer.
“Of all the things this case is about, that’s the least of any concern. This family is set on making change and ensuring this never happens at a concert again,” Richard Mithoff said.
“I find offering to pay for funerals frankly demeaning and really inappropriate to the magnitude of the tragedy that unfolded.”
Updated on 11/18/21
Travis Scott, Drake, and the event organizers who put on Astroworld Festival are facing even more legal troubles.
The festival, which left 10 people dead and hundreds injured, occurred earlier this month in Houston, Texas, and has left the victims searching for answers.
On Tuesday, November 16 the Buzbee Law Firm filed a lawsuit worth more than $750 million on behalf of 125 victims, according to E! News.
Those victims also include Axel Acosta, who tragically died the night of the festival. Along with suing Travis, the lawsuit was also filed against Drake (who performed), Apple Music, Live Nation, Epic Records, Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation, ScoreMore, and ASM Global.
“The victims on that night went to Astroworld for fun. Neither they nor their families were ever warned that they were walking into an extremely dangerous situation,” the lawsuit says.
“The deaths and injuries that occurred were needless and senseless, and the suffering caused the families and all others involved will be endless.”
The lawsuit also details how Axel died on the evening of the festival, claiming he was “crushed” by the crowd and could no longer breathe, which sent him into cardiac arrest.
“He lay lifeless on the wet, littered grass at the edge of the chaos, while frantic and understaffed medical professionals worked to restart his heart — to no avail,” the lawsuit continues.
“Axel died that night on the muddy ground at a concert he attended for fun.”
Updated on 11/15/21
One week after the devastating Astroworld Festival tragedy, 10 people are now confirmed dead.
According to CBS News, a 9-year-old boy named Ezra Blount sadly passed away over the weekend.
“The Blount family tonight is grieving the ultimate, incomprehensible loss of their precious young son,” the family’s attorney said in a statement.
“This should not have been the outcome of taking their son to a concert, a joyful celebration. Ezra’s death is absolutely heartbreaking. We are committed to seeking answers and justice for the Blount family. But tonight we stand in solidarity with the family, in grief, and in prayer.”
Ezra had been placed in a medically induced coma last week due to trauma he sustained to his brain, liver, and kidney.
As previously mentioned, he is now the 10th person to pass away following the festival. Bharti Shahani, a 22-year-old college student, died on Wednesday, November 10.
Updated on 11/9/21
Drake is finally speaking out following the terrible Astroworld tragedy that left eight people dead in Houston, Texas over the weekend.
The rapper, who was brought on stage during Travis Scott’s performance, has been accused by some concertgoers for encouraging rowdy behavior during the show.
“I’ve spent the past few days trying to wrap my mind around this devastating tragedy. I hate resorting to this platform to express an emotion as delicate as grief but this is where I find myself,” he wrote on Instagram.
“My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them, and will be of service in any way I can. May God be with you all.”
Original story (11/8/21)
Travis Scott and other music festival organizers have been sued following the devastating Astroworld musical festival tragedy that left eight people dead over the weekend.
The rapper, entertainment company Live Nation, and festival organizers ScoreMore and ASM Global are being sued by a festival attendee, Manuel Souza.
For all the details, including how Travis has responded to the tragedy, keep reading.
As previously mentioned, eight people were killed — and as many as 25 others were injured — during the music festival on Friday, November 5, in Houston, Texas.
According to the lawsuit filed on Saturday, November 6, these deaths were “predictable and preventable.”
Manuel claims he “suffered serious bodily injuries when the uncontrolled crowd at the concert knocked him to the ground and trampled him.”
Moreover, Manuel believes the eight deaths and countless injuries are a “result of defendants’ conscious disregard of the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers that had been escalating since hours earlier.”
Along with suing Travis, Live Nation, and the festival organizers, concertgoer Kristian Paredes also sued Drake, who reportedly came on stage and encouraged the crowd’s rowdy behavior.
“The crowd became chaotic, and a stampede began, leaving eight dead and dozens including Kristian Paredes severely injured,” the lawsuit said, according to E! News.
Though he has not commented on the lawsuits, Travis did release a statement on Twitter following the festival.
“I’m devastated by what took place last night. My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life,” he shared.
“I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need. Thank you to Houston PD, Fire Department, and NRG Park for their immediate response and support. Love You All.”
And Kylie Jenner, who is currently pregnant with her second child with Travis, shared a statement on Instagram.
“Travis and I are broken and devastated. My thoughts and prayers are with all who lost their lives, were injured or affected in anyway [sic] by yesterday’s events,” she said.
“And also for Travis who I know cares deeply for his fans and the Houston community. I want to make it clear we weren’t aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing.”
It was also announced over the weekend that Travis would be refunding every concertgoer’s ticket. He has also canceled his appearance at a music festival in Las Vegas this weekend.